Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Waiting Room

Dear Bad Blind Date Story Contest,

One of my worst blind date stories was the time I met a guy who was visiting from D.C. I was told he was thinking of moving to The Big Apple so I agreed to go out with him with the idea that he might eventually move here. I met him at his hotel and we proceeded to go to his doctor's appointment - a gastrointerologist! I've never really subscribed to the idea that there are "rules" to dating, but I think maybe there should be a rule to at least try to make a "normal" first impression or at least not a disgusting one. Letting your blind date know that you even NEED a gastrointerologist is cause enough to need a dating intervention. I mean yuck! I ended up agreeing to go with him only because he begged me to go because he didn't want to go alone and he was all alone in New York. Needless to say, I felt unbelievably weird sitting in a doctor's waiting room for someone I didn't even know. So I sat there completely befuddled with my situation and tried not to imagine what his examination entailed. When we eventually left the doctor's office to go to a restaurant for dinner he actually wanted to discuss what transpired during his exam. While walking to the restaurant I could feel my mind race to try to come up with excuses on how to ditch this guy now that my "duties" were fulfilled. Somehow I managed to say something intelligible enough so that he ended up getting take-out to take back to his hotel room and I was liberated from the "date".

Thanks for the opportunity to relive it all again.

Best Regards,
Veri K.
-New York, NY

No comments:

Post a Comment