Wednesday, February 18, 2009

"Pictures can be deceiving"

About 10 years ago when I first started dating (when I was in my early 20s), I used the Village Voice personals to find a suitable guy to date. I found who I thought would be a perfect match - He said he was in his early 30s, relationship-oriented and worked in education. He emailed me a great photo of himself and we had a few pleasant phone conversations. I was very excited about our date and wore my favorite shirt and jeans. We arranged to meet outside the Big Cup coffeehouse in Chelsea. I was there a few minutes late, waited a while but didn't see anyone like him. There was just this older bald man in his 50s standing outside Big Cup for a while. After about 20 minutes, I asked the man if he had seen anyone waiting outside but who might have left. He then called me by my first name and said he was the guy who I was supposed to meet. He freaked me out when he grabbed my upper arm as a friendly gesture. He said it was great to meet me and he was looking forward to our date, and asked if he could just excuse himself for a moment to use the bathroom inside. I said sure. My mind was racing - should I confront him about his totally inaccurate picture? Should I ask why he clearly tried to take advantage of me? I was expecting a cute guy in his 30s, but instead I was meeting an overweight bald guy who was clearly in his 50s!! I thought quickly and ran FAST to the 23rd Street subway to escape. I was paranoid he was going to see me and start following me to the subway. What was this guy thinking?? Luckily I never heard from him again (or I might have considered changing my phone number).

Steve
- Brooklyn, NY

No comments:

Post a Comment