Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Cinco De Mayo

Hi,

I was using j-date, the popular Jewish dating website, to find a boyfriend. I went on numerous dates - over 70 different guys in about a year. There was a guy I went out with during Cinco De Mayo. This was my first time meeting him. He came by to pick me up at my apartment and we were going to a Mexican restaurant.

When he showed up, he was wearing a New York Sports Club hat, jacket, and bookbag. We walked all the way to the restaurant and although the distance was less than five blocks, it felt like five miles because of his embarassing get up. When we got to the restaurant, I casually mentioned that we were now indoors and he could get rid of his NYSC clothes. He said that he just started working for them in the sales department. He wanted to keep them on throughout the whole date just in case anyone in the restaurant wanted to sign up for a gym membership while they were out at a restaurant!

The waitress came by and asked for our orders. The guy turned to the waitress and yelled in her face "Happy Cinco De Mayo!" She turned to me and looked at me with a sympathetic look. We then placed our orders. I ordered a steak and a margarita. He ordered a salad and a strawberry drink. Another waiter brought by our food and of course, placed my "manly" meal in front of him and his "girly" meal in front of me.

The conversation was boring and we ate quickly. I had a rule that I didn't pay for my meal on first dates...or any dates for that matter. We sat for a long time and he wasn't making any moves to pay the check. I went to the ladies room, for a quick few minutes away from him and also to give him a chance to pick up the tab. I came back after a while and the check was still sitting there. He waited for me to come back to split the check! I quickly got out my wallet so I could end the date.

As we were walking out, he suggested we go dancing. He showed me his "dance moves" on the way out the door. He proceeded to hop around like he was standing on hot coals. I declined the dance offer and tried to hide the pain on my face.

We walked back to my block and I kept my hands in my pockets to ensure that he would not get any ideas about holding my hands. When I got to my block, I quickly took my hand out of my pocket, waved, put my hand back in my pocket and proceeded to walk away.

Just retelling this story makes me glad that I'm married and off the market! I actually have a few more of these crazy stories. ;)


Thanks,

Dina H.
-New York, NY

No comments:

Post a Comment